It’s certainly been a tumultuous week in the Romaverse. From the derby debacle last Friday to yet another embarrassing Coppa Italia exit at the hands of Spezia, to the rumors of a Fonseca sacking, there weren’t many dull moments. However, the news of an El Shaarawy return and beating out Juventus for Bryan Reynolds raised spirits a bit ahead of Saturday’s match against Spezia. Yet, despite the good news on the transfer market, all eyes were on how Roma would respond on the pitch against newfound nemesis Spezia.
In this one, Roma had to exorcise its demons against the Ligurian side which had knocked the Giallorossi out of Italy’s cup competition twice in the last five seasons. It looked like Spezia would again take a result off the Giallorossi after Daniele Verde’s tying goal in the 90th minute. Nevertheless, Roma’s captain on the day, Lorenzo Pellegrini, found a way to put the Giallorossi over the line in a 4-3 thriller at the Olimpico.
In this episode of Across the Romaverse, Sean and I break down all of the key talking points from Roma’s victory against Spezia. We also discussed the following topics:
- Mayoral bouncing back from his dismal Coppa performance. If Dzeko is fit should he start against Hellas?
- Pellegrini with a “Captain’s Performance”.
- The individual errors continue to pile up. Are they more to blame than Fonseca for the recent results?
- Did the late goal show a shift away from Roma’s defeatist mentality of past seasons?
- Was the Pellegrini/Fonseca hug a sign of team unity?
- Roma’s strong play down the wings. Is Spinazzola back to his best?
- Daniele Verde: From Roma Primavera player to Roma killer
- Plus, a look ahead to next week’s match against Hellas Verona.
You can also listen and subscribe on the following platforms: